Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Wednesday 10 October 2012

NW by Zadie Smith

This is an excellently well written book about two girls, Leah and Keisha, who grow up on a Council estate in Kilburn.   I enjoyed the style of writing very much and it is worth a read to appreciate the language and the observational social commentary.  However, I was disappointed with the two main characters who are difficult to engage with and for me that unfortunately detracted from my enjoyment this book.  There was something about both characters which made them a little indistinct - and it was too evident that they were vehicles for the message behind the book rather than realistic representations of people.   In my opinion, this lack of identification with the characters prevented this book from being truly absorbing but it is still an enjoyable novel by a very talented writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.