Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Sunday 22 January 2012

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

A novel about a Jewish American man (Jonathan) who travels to Ukraine to try and discover more about what happened to his family during World War II.  This novel is touching and very well written.   Parts of the novel are written as letters from a Ukrainian boy (who was Jonathan's guide on his travels around Ukraine) to Jonathan following his return to America and I particularly enjoyed these chapters which employ a very clever use of language.  I found Jonathan's narrative a bit less compelling but it works well in the context of the novel as a whole.  Whilst this book is very powerful in places it is also accessible and humorous.  I know I am late to this but if you haven't read it yet I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.