Book Count (since 1 January 2012)

Book Count (since 1 January 2014): 30

Monday 23 May 2011

The Shipping News by Annie Proux

I enjoyed this book. It is a good story and I liked her characters.

I didn't particularly enjoy the style of writing. Lots of sentences. Very short ones. No pronouns. Bit like how I speak when very pissed off. I understand that this was intentional as it replicates the journalistic style, but it I thought it created a barrier between the reader and the characters as it is very impersonal and difficult to read.


Despite this slight hurdle from my point of view, I did like the book a lot as the plot is fun and there is some great descriptive writing. Definitely enjoyable and worth reading, if you can get past the staccato style

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.